Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Speeding Ticket

I got a speeding ticket a week ago Saturday. It was on our way to visit our daughter Ruth in Arcata, and happened in Mendicino County, between Willits and Eureka. It's a beautiful section of the 101, redwoods all over. I've been warned they're pretty tough on speeders. And I usually just enjoy the drive. But I was into going fast and had two other cars with me (safety in numbers). It even occurred to me how stupid I was being, but I paid no attention. I came over a hill and around a bend and a police officer was parked behind a sign. I actually was alert enough to see him and slow down, but too late. He got me (and let the two behind me go, so much for the safety thing) on his radar doing 83 in a 65 zone. He turned out to be very nice. Smiled. Told me that he'd reduce my speed since I just came over a hill and wasn't doing anything else that was dangerous. He explained that by reducing my speed below 80 I'd avoid the automatic doubling of the fine in Mendicino county and be eligible for traffic school. Very nice, but also a not-to-subtle warning not to do it again! I signed my 75 mph ticket and we were on our way. We drove the speed limit the rest of the way up and all the way home (which added at least an hour to our drive home). I've been thinking about changing how I drive and learning to relax and not hurry so much.

How much of my morality is governed by not wanting to get caught?

No comments: