Monday, August 06, 2007

Go For It

Falling off the cables is a bad idea.

My last post was about limits. I had a very personal reason for thinking about limits on our Half Dome hike. I came close to swimming beyond my limit on our backpack to Jennie Lake a month before the Yosemite trip. I was afraid I might make the same mistake with the cables at Half Dome. I wanted to go for it, but was afraid I might under-estimate how tired I was and slide off the mountain because of exhaustion.

Waiting for the cables.

We waited about twenty minutes for the cables to clear. During this time I was fairly nervous. I still thought about being exhausted even though I felt very strong. The hike up the switchbacks was tough, but I was fine. I keep feeling like I wanted to turn back. However, I also knew that if I turned back I would always regret it. I decided to leave my knapsack. That made hanging on the cables seem more manageable. As soon as the cables cleared I wanted to go. I felt if I waited any longer I would chicken out.

On the cables, finally.

I went for it. Dan and I walked to the cables. I asked Dan to stay with me -- I would feel better. We walked by a woman who said she was scared and could she climb between us. I said I was scared too, sure. I was focused on going up and just kept walking. Rex said he wanted to go behind me since I knew more about the route. OK, whatever. That made it me, Rex, the woman and Dan. I just focused on the cables and the rock at my feet and started climbing. Once I was on the cables I was fine. I even looked around once or twice halfway up.

I was still in a nervous state though. About 2/3 of the way up a woman coming down asked if I had seen her friend. I said no. It wasn't until the next morning I realized she was asking about the woman who asked to climb between Dan and I! In fact they were both part of a group of woman who were on top. The group included the 8 year old girl I mentioned in my last post. I also talked with on of their companions for several minutes on the summit. I am a spacey person, but it also shows how hyped-up I was.

I had no problem. It did require some pulling on the cables, but even my arthritic hands could do it. It is by no means a straight pull uphill. Mostly the cables are used to keep from sliding back while climbing with your feet and legs. Plus you can rest every 6 feet or so on the 2x4 across the cable poles.

I saw this badger at the top of the cables on the way up and down.

I got to the top, met some people, looked around some and then realized Rex wasn't there yet! Yes, I was spacey! I went back to the cable top. Somebody I didn't know came up. Where were Rex and the woman and Dan? Rex showed up after a while -- the man I saw had passed everyone! Dan came a bit later and he said the woman was coming up behind him. I had just gone, focused on what I was doing, with no thought for anyone else.

I regretted that I left my knapsack below. Taking it would have been no problem, although not having it made passing the people coming down a little easier. I wanted some water and I wanted to have my camera. I'll bring it next time!

Coming down the cables.

Coming down the cables was scarier than going up. It wasn't too bad though. Most people go down facing down. I started that way too but started sliding a little which made me nervous. I turned around and descended backwards most of the way. A little slower but I felt more in control. I again was able to look at the view a bit. Looking too long seemed like a bad idea -- everything is down and it is easy to get dizzy. I even did OK when we had to wait for the boy to be helped down.

I'm so glad I went for it. I regret leaving my knapsack on the shoulder I regret being a space cadet and not being more help to the woman climbing with us or to her friend. It was necessary for me to be focused and get over my fear. That I don't regret. I am a fearful person who overcame a major fear. I also proved to myself that I was physically up to the challenge. Thanks to God for getting me through!

No comments: