Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hyper

Many years ago I used to fall asleep in meetings and at church. I got bored easily and fought my lack of discipline to stay awake. Then I found out I have hypothyroidism -- my thyroid is low. I take thyroid replacement medicine. I get tested regularly to make sure it's OK and sometimes need to change dosage. Since then I've almost never dozed off when I shouldn't.

Recently (last six months to a year) I've found myself getting uptight and hyper very easily. It's not that I didn't before. It just seems to happen more now. And I don't sleep as easily. Am I just noticing more? Am I under more stress? Am I losing faith in God?

Several months ago my test showed my thyroid was slightly high. Last week had my annual physical and got tested again. My thyroid was a bit high again, so my doctor adjusted my dosage down.

Just yesterday I made the connection. Maybe I'm hyper because my thyroid is too high. Usually when it's adjusted it's because it's too low. I have never had it high for very long so I don't really know what it feels like. I guess I'll find out if thyroid is my problem in the next few weeks.

People want to be real, to feel their raw and actual emotions. How much of that is just chemical? How much of what we call moral or immoral is also just chemical? Is it time for Equilibrium?

No comments: