Monday, November 26, 2007

Web Geek

I haven't blogged much in the last couple of weeks. I've been working on our Quartz Hill School of Theology website. Some of what I did was not very visible -- just file maintenance and clean-up. I did change the navigation frame a bit. I also added a link to professor blog feeds on the main page.

I had the most fun working on our related Quartz Hill Community Church page. The main thing I did was add an introduction to our people, including some videos. It was very fun and encouraging.

There are still changes to be made. Some parts are still pretty rough. I'll try not to drop to far out of the blog-o-sphere while I'm being a web geek.

2 comments:

Austin said...

Looks cool. My Sister wants me to build her a simple site. Do you use a program or are you just writing HTML or something like that? Any suggestions?

Eric said...

I mostly just write HTML. I also use Javascript a fair amount. I achieve the common frame and navigation with PHP code.

I learn by searching for what I want. http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp has a lot of good reference. Some terms that might help.

Html: code for marking up a web page.

CSS: Html style sheets. Modern web pages separate style info away from content. They use style sheets for formatting.

Javascript: A script interpreted by web browsers. Javascript is executed when a page loads.

PHP or Perl: Script languages used by web servers. They are executed by the web server before the page is sent to the browser. If you could download a theology.edu page by ftp you would see that it is different than the source reported by your browser. I do this with PHP.

Xhtml: Html using stricter guidelines. Modern pages should conform to Xhtml because browser can handle it better.

Xml, Xsl: Xml is a generalized html data storage format that contains no formatting. Xsl contains formatting for Xml -- they are Xml style sheets. Modern browsers can handle Xml and Xsl files.

Ajax: a protocol for communicating between web servers. I don't know much about it and don't use it directly. I use Google API (based on Ajax and other protocols) to perform some tricks, such as the interactive maps on our hiking pages (e.g. http://theology.edu/QHCC/HalfDomeHike/HalfDome.html) or the blog feeds on our main page.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.