Thursday, August 23, 2007

Iraq

I like to think I'm analytical. I avoid politics but I've thought a bit about the war in Iraq.
  • I didn't know if going there was right or not. I still don't.
  • War is bad -- all sane people on both sides believe this. Not thinking this has got to border on insanity. Or at least terrorism.
  • I'm glad Saddam is gone.
  • I like the idea of showing that we won't tolerate human rights abuses nor terrorism.
  • The Berlin Wall and the Iron Curtain imploded from outside pressure and internal dissatisfaction. Shouldn't we allow the Middle East to do the same?
  • Just sitting back and letting terrorists get away with horrible crimes is wrong and scary.
  • I've always felt the worse thing we could do is go then leave before finishing. We Americans can be such flakes and it makes us a laughing stock.
So, I've not been a great supporter of the war in Iraq but I don't like to just leave.

Last week I found out my daughter, Sarah, is slated for another tour of duty over there starting February 2008. I don't like it. I think it's bad for her and us. I find myself now completely against the war. I wish we were out now and I can't shake the feeling. No argument is good enough.

Today a friend at work sent me this video:


Wow! I find myself agreeing. How could we have been so stupid! It's from a political action group called MoveOn.org. I don't really want to jump on the bandwagon and support them. But I almost might.

I know there are other sides. I don't really want to listen to them right now.

1 comment:

Don the Baptist said...

That is a heavy load you are carrying, my friend. I acknowledge it, without being able to fix it.