Thursday, June 04, 2009

Why I Run.

I took up running regularly a year ago. I ran my first half marathon Memorial Day. Why do I run?

There are lots of standard exercise reasons.
  1. Better health.
  2. Feel better.
  3. Live longer.
  4. Feel fit.
  5. Feel younger.
  6. Live to see and enjoy grandchildren (no kids, this is not a hint :-)
  7. Relax and relieve stress.
  8. Be fit enough to do things I enjoy like racquetball and hiking.
Specific reasons I run.
  1. My son, Dan, and I are working on being in distance races. It's something we can do together even though we live a distance from each other.
  2. Being able to run is satisfying. I now can just go out and run several miles without it being a big deal. That's cool.
  3. Running does all the exercise stuff above, and it does most better or more efficiently.
I have rheumatoid arthritis. Before it got treated correctly I lost the ability to run. I could barely walk, especially in the morning. I once fell down in my apartment parking lot. There was no one around and nothing to grab onto. I barely made it back to my feet. My arthritis is now under control. But I haven't forgotten how it was. I feel like God's given my life back to me. I actually had to relearn to run. It wasn't that hard, but it was eye opening. I thank God and don't wish to throw his gift away.

The major reason I didn't run before last year is I figured I was too old and fat. I thought I'd hurt myself. I got over this because I found out how I could run slowly and build up mileage slowly. My first runs were basically short walks with very short jogs thrown in. I have been surprisingly injury free. I've been sore, but it's a good muscle sore. I twisted my ankle a few weeks ago because I stepped on a rock sideways, but it wasn't bad and healed quickly. I've had no injury related purely to running, which surprised me. In fact, running often makes me feel better. I ran a slow recovery run the day after my half marathon, and that actually made me feel better than just sitting around.

As an old fat guy I also worried about chaffing. How can I put this politely? Those of us with excess flab have parts that bounce when we run. Those parts can chaff against our clothes. I seem especially sensitive to it. It has bothered me many times. However, there are good products, like Body Glide which I use, that work miracles. This has not really been the problem I expected it to be thanks to modern technology.

Running can make my muscles sore. I already stretched when I exercised and since running I've had to learn to stretch even more regularly. Stretching is good for me anyway. It's almost essential if I want to run (or any kind of exercise). I've learn a little yoga and that has helped tremendously.

There are probably other reasons not to run but I find the positives far out-weigh any hassles. I enjoy running and look forward to running for many more years.


1 comment:

pamnkeith4HIM said...

Thanks for sharing these insights Eric. I did enjoy hearing these things...once upon a time I ran too. Way back in High School and continued until I moved to California.