Friday, December 07, 2007

A Day that Will Live in Infamy




December 7, 1941 is a day that lives in infamy. Why should it now that 66 years have gone by? Aren't we just being bitter?

I don't think it's bitterness. I certainly hold no bitterness toward the Japanese people nor the nation of Japan. Neither do I sense a lot of that around me. I firmly believe we were on the right side in the war and that the Japanese were wrong to attack us. I'm thankful for those who died fighting for our country. But that doesn't mean I need to hate those who attacked us, especially not after all this time.

It also does not mean I believe we were perfect and blameless in the war. There are stories of back room political manipulations. I don't know enough to comment. I do know that we shipped bus loads of people away from their homes to camps. As a Californian I understand the scare. My mother, who grew up in Redondo Beach, personally witnessed us send anti-submarine planes after Japanese submarines right off our coast. The unpublicized fact that Japanese subs were off the California coast would have probably caused even more panic. It was very scary. Still, what we did was wrong. Not wrong like the holocaust (as some like to imply), but still wrong.

I believe December 7 lives in infamy as a reminder. Like holocaust histories or more recently 911, we are reminded that we live in a world that still has a lot of evil in it. I want God's love to prevail. I like to believe the best in people. I pray for the day that the world is so full of his love that we don't need armies because their will be no wars, nor threat of wars. However, that time is not now. As far as I can tell, it's not even close.

December 7 is also a time to remember our soldiers. The soldiers at Pearl Harbor were killed in battle, yes, but not a normal battle. They were at their home port. Supposedly safe. Not in a war zone. We honor those who have fought and those who have died and rightly so. It's not often we think about how just being in uniform makes a person a target. Makes a person need a more constant vigilance. We forget how much our living soldiers who are "safe" at home also sacrifice for us.

December 7, Pearl Harbor Day. A day to remember the evil in the world and pray for God's love, grace and mercy. A day to remember those who have done and still do so much for us.

4 comments:

Don the Baptist said...

Also, it's the anneversary of my marriage proposal!

Eric said...

Don,
Sorry to leave out such an important aspect of Pearl Harbor day. :-)

You know that's a great straight line?

"Weren't you afraid you'd bomb out?"

"Didn't know the U.S. had any kamikazes."

"So you surrendered to the enemy?"

Unknown said...

Check it:
http://www.militarymuseum.org/Ellwood.html
also here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks_on_North_America_during_World_War_II
this as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles
and hell:
http://www.historynet.com/magazines/world_war_2/3031956.html

Food for thought.

Eric said...

Sarah,
Your second and fourth links didn't work for me. The other two were interesting. I guess the presence of one or more subs of the West Coast was more public knowledge than I thought.